The game's intensely physical characteristics means that there are firm boundaries within which players must operate to ensure that the game is as safe and fair as possible.
- All players on the field must play within the laws of the game and foul play contrary to World Rugby Law 9 (Foul Play) is penalised by the on-field match officials.
- For more serious foul play, players may be required to attend a disciplinary hearing in accordance with World Rugby Regulation 17.
- Everyone involved in rugby is also required to adhere to World Rugby’s values and regulations, and breaches of World Rugby’s Regulations may also result in a hearing before a World Rugby Judicial Panel.
This video by World Rugby explains how the disciplinary process works.
General costs for yellow & red cards
- 2 yellow cards in the same match equivalent to a red card AND a suspension for two maches
- 3 yellow card in the same saison equivalent to a red card AND a match suspension
Check out the details on costs occuring for each type of offence - available in French & German.